Monday, December 28, 2009

Inspiration

If you have visited our house you would see that it is a bit of a mish-mash of things. Most of the items are either craigslist steals and deals or free hand-me downs. The only problem with this is that I don't feel that the style of things we have in the house really reflects who we are, and what we want our home to look like. I think the closest room to doing that would be the dining room, but even that is a bit of a stretch.

Awhile back I redid the bedroom, but never got around to finishing it. It has been bothering me a lot lately and I have decided to try and get things rolling again, but before I went at that full force there was a bigger pressing problem at hand: the family room (formerly the living room). This is where we spend most of our time and I can't stand the style of it. There really is no style. I hate the wall color. It wasn't what it was supposed to be, but it was better than what was below it so I just kept painting. Well today I decided enough was enough, and that I was going to design the room that I wanted and work towards "collecting" items that reflected this. They might not be the same exact items, but they can be close. Here is what I have so far:


So what do you think?

Let me explain a little. I want Robin's egg blue walls, the tv stand needs to be painted a egg-shell white or a cream with red glass knobs. Brown leather or microfiber furniture. I LOVE that rug, but it's WAY too expensive, so hopefully I can find a cheaper version, the coffee table painted red (I'm still debating on that one...I might do white with red accents on the top), red throw pillows (they don't need to be exact these were just ones that I thought were "okay"). The only thing I am having trouble with is the wall of windows. I don't really know what to do. I'm not a window treatment kind of girl, you see. If I had it my way they wouldn't have any curtains, but they let in too much cold air in the winter and too much warm in the summer. I was thinking maybe light colored bamboo blinds with curtains on either side, but I'm not sure what color or anything like that. I have no idea. If you have an idea for this, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE leave me a comment.

Now that I've done the living room I am going to work on the bedroom. :) I already have a good start in mind.

No comments: